June 4, 2014

Remodeling My Old Room


Back when I moved out to attend college out of state, my mother made me clean all my belongings out of my childhood room. She was desperate to remodel the room and turn it into a study for her and my father. But my parents didn’t know the first thing about construction. I convinced them to take their project to Palm Beach home remodeling professionals.

Once they had found a good contractor, they made an appointment for him to come to the house and take measurements of the space. Their vision was a multi-purpose room: an area for my mom’s sewing machine and craft projects, a computer workspace, and built-in shelves to house their collection of books. The contractor determined that to fit all of these elements comfortably, they would have to expand the room by several feet. While talking with the contractor, they also mentioned that they had dreamed of having an extra bathroom. Since the room was right next to the laundry area, the existing plumbing would allow them to add one quite easily and still stay within a reasonable budget.

Being the first time they had ever assumed such a project, my parents were both happy and surprised that the construction could be done so easily. Within a few months, their office was completed. On the advice of the contractor, they had used light-colored wood for the bookshelves and a soft yellow for the walls, and put in French doors to make the room as bright as possible. The result was a relaxing space in which my parents could enjoy their golden years practicing their favorite hobbies: reading, crafting, video-chatting with their grandchildren, and spending time together. If you, too, are considering Palm Beach home remodeling, be sure to call a professional who can hopefully complete your project as smoothly as my parents’ contractor did!